This site will host reports and opinion pieces on any of a variety of issues of relevant to the policies, governance and administration of UW-Madison. Special interest articles may also be considered.
Typically, we will post either a solicited or unsolicited article that will lead off a new discussion thread. That article will then serve as the nucleus for an open-ended discussion via reader comments.
With this post, we solicit specific suggestions for topics. Here is a sampling of the kinds of things we are looking for:
- Impacts of the new budget on the quality of research and/or teaching
- Oversight, accountability, and responsiveness in the administration hierarchy
- Faculty recruitment/retention issues
- The future of the tenure system at UW-Madison
- State funding vs. state control
- The tuition surcharge for graduate students in grant budgets
- The utilization of overhead charges collected on research grants
- Infrastructure issues — what is needed, and who pays?
In addition to replying with specific topic suggestions, consider whether you are in a position to contribute a lead article, short or long, addressing any topic of likely interest to our readership. If you are, please see the page Information for Authors.