We all know that UW-Madison and public universities everywhere are suffering severe budget pressures. Part of this, of course, is due to the budget difficulties the states themselves are experiencing. But the problem is compounded by complacency among some voters (and their elected leaders) concerning the importance of affordable high-quality public education for the economic health of the state and for the future of its children.
October 7 (tomorrow) will see rallies across the country in defense of public education. Here in Madison, the rally will take place at the Library Mall between 12:30pm and 1:30pm. The idea is that a large turnout of people who show they care about this issue may have an influence on state legislators (and Wisconsin citizens) who might otherwise be just a little too ready to find budget savings at the University’s expense.
Here are details cut/pasted from the Facebook page for the rally:
Time: Thursday, October 7 · 12:30pm – 1:30pm
Location: Library Mall
Come Rally to Defend Public Education from budget cuts and dwindling government support!
WE BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO A QUALITY PUBLIC EDUCATION.
The October 7th Rally CALLS FOR:
- Making public education a TOP PRIORITY for the state budget.
- Increasing state revenue for education by raising money from those who can bear it.
- Funding quality K-12 public schools in all areas, for every student.
- Increasing access to higher education for racial/ethnic minorities.
- Ensuring Fair and competitive pay for faculty, staff and workers at universities and other public schools.
- Making the “Wisconsin Idea” Wisconsin’s reality.
Speakers will include:
- Ben Manski: Community Activist
- Mike Bell: UW Sociology Faculty
- Representative from AFSCMEl 171
- TJ Mertz: Edgewood College Faculty
- Kevin Gibbons: TAA Co-President
- And more!
COME JOIN US IN STANDING UP FOR THE RIGHT TO QUALITY PUBLIC EDUCATION!